China’s Communist Party Ninety Years Old
The Chinese Communist Party is celebrating its ninetieth birthday. Chinese leaders want to show their people that only the Communist Party had been able to make China what it is today: a strong nation with the second largest economy in the world.
Government organizations and the Communist Party have come up with a number of magazines, special editions of newspapers, books , television shows and even films that show how the Communist Party of China developed over 9 decades. The government controlled Chinese news agency has said that only the Communist Party can control the way China is developing.
Although the government does not allow critics to speak openly , some have criticized the era of Mao Zedong and the Cultural Revolution of the 1960s, in which millions of Chinese were killed because they were against the government.
Communist leaders , on the other side, show no signs of making China a more liberal nation. They do not admit that mistakes have been made in the past and point out China’s economical success.
- How China is Ruled
- Mao Zedong - China's Communist Leader
- 50 Years After China's Cultural Revolution
- Weibo - China's Version of Twitter
- China Bans Immoral Content From Television
- admit = to say that you have done something
- although = while
- celebrate = to have a party because of something special
- cultural revolution = period in China from 1966 to 1969 when Mao Zedong continued the revolution that brought the Communists to power after World War II. Many people who thought differently were killed during this period
- decade = ten years
- develop = grow
- economy = a system by which a country’s money and products are produced
- government = the people who rule a country
- nation = country
- news agency = organization that collects news stories and gives them to newspapers, TV and radio stations
- openly = freely
- organization = a group of people who get together to do a job
- sign = symbol, mark
- success = to achieve something you have always wanted