Porsche To Stop Production of Diesel Cars
German sports car maker Porsche has declared that it would no longer produce diesel cars, but instead concentrate on petrol-powered , electric and hybrid vehicles. It is the first German automaker to completely withdraw from the diesel car sector.
The company made the decision in the aftermath of the emission cheating scandal that hit Porsche's parent company Volkswagen . In an interview, Porsche's CEO Oliver Blume said that Porsche's image had suffered due to the scandal.
For luxury car manufacturer Porsche, the production of diesel cars has not been that important. In 2017 only 12 % of all Porsche cars produced were diesel-powered. The company has been making diesel cars for 10 years, but since February has stopped taking orders for them. It has never developed or produced any diesel engines of its own.
Porsche is also reacting to the fact that more and more European cities are considering a ban on diesel vehicles in an attempt to reduce air pollution. In addition, the demand for diesel cars is also decreasing.
Currently, the German car maker is investing heavily in new hybrid and electric car technology. Next year it will launch its first fully-electric sports car, the Taycan. By 2025 Porsche expects that every second car it produces will be an an electric sports car.
Taycan - Porsche's first fully electric sports car - Image: Alexander Migl
- aftermath = the period of time that has passed after something important happened
- attempt = try
- ban = to forbid something
- concentrate = focus on
- consider = think about
- currently = at the moment, now
- decrease = go down
- demand = the number of cars that people want to buy
- develop = create something completely new
- due to = because of
- emission cheating scandal = in 2015 the United States found out that Volkswagen had lied about emission tests on its cars
- declare = to say officially
- heavily = a lot
- hybrid = here: car that has a petrol engine and an electric motor
- in addition = also
- launch = to start selling
- petrol-powered = engine that runs on petrol instead of diesel
- reduce = lower ; make something go down
- suffer= here: to be in a difficult situation
- take orders = people declare that they want to buy a product from a company
- vehicle = car
- withdraw = here: to stop production