The American President
The President of the United States is one of the most powerful people in the world. He must lead a strong nation and make sure that laws are put into effect . He is the commander of the army and can send American soldiers to war. The President also decides which relationships America has with other countries. He is the Head of State and meets with leaders of other nations.
To become president a person
- must be at least 35 years old
- must have lived in the United States for at least 14 years
- must be born in the United States
A president serves his country for four years. He can also be elected a second time. Until 1951 US presidents were able to hold office for more than eight years. Franklin D. Roosevelt , for example, was elected four times and was president from 1933—1945.
If Congress finds out that a president has done something wrong he can be removed from the White House .
A President’s Job
The President is the head of the executive branch of government. When the Senate and the House of Representatives want a new law to be passed , they send a bill to the President. If he agrees , he signs the bill and it becomes a law .
However, if the President does not like it he doesn’t have to sign it. This is called a veto. The bill goes back to Congress and if two thirds of all members vote against the veto it becomes a law .
The President does not rule the country alone. The Cabinet is a group of people who get together and give the President information on many things. The President himself chooses them and they meet at least once a week. They are experts in many fields like defence , the environment , education and others.
President Obama holds a Cabinet meeting
Life of a President
An American President is always busy. He has several conferences and meets up to a hundred or more people every day.
The President lives in the White House in Washington , D.C. Most of the time he does his work in the Oval Office. There, he meets his helpers, leaders from other countries and other people.
Presidents often spend their weekends at Camp David, a retreat in the Maryland mountains. There they relax, play golf, go riding and fishing and have time for their families.
The Secret Service protects the American President around the clock. It checks food and the hotels where a President lives and plans his trips and journeys.
A President travels across the country or abroad in his own plane—Air Force One. It is a Boeing 747 in which he can work and live as in the White House.
Even though presidents are closely protected some of them were killed in office. Abraham Lincoln was assassinated in 1865 when he was at a theatre performance. John F. Kennedy was murdered on the streets of Dallas, Texas in 1963.
Camp David retreat
The American President - Table of Contents
- The American President - His Life, Job and Duties
- The Road to the White House
- How American Government Works
- The Electoral College
- The 2000 Presidential Election
- Famous American Presidents
Presidential Election 2008 - Table of Contents
- Results of the 2008 Election
- Democratic Presidential Candidate - Barack Obama
- Republican Presidential Candidate - John McCain
Downloadable PDF Text- and Worksheets
- The 2008 Presidential Candidates- Text (PDF - 159 KB)
- The 2008 Presidential Election - Results (PDF - 430 KB)
- President Barack Obama's Acceptance Speech - Exercises (PDF - 411 KB)
- The Amercian President - Essay Tasks (PDF - 128 KB)
- American President - Multiple Choice Exercise
- American President - True or False
- American President - Rearrange the events in their correct order
- The Road to the White House - Find the correct order
- American States
- Vocabulary Matching Exercise 1
- Vocabulary Matching Exercise 2
- American President - Crossword 1
- Presidents of the Past - Crossword 2
- American President - Fill in the missing words
- abroad = another country
- agree = to say yes
- assassinate = to murder an important person
- bill =a plan for a new law which is discussed in parliament
- candidate =person who wants to become president
- closely protected =carefully guarded
- commander =the person who is in control of ...
- Congress = the group of people who make laws in the United States
- defence =everything that a country uses to protect itself from being attacked
- elect = to chose somebody by voting for him
- election = when people vote to chose somebody
- environment = the world around us
- executive branch = a part of government that makes sure that people follow the law
- hold office = to be President
- in office = when a person is President
- journey = travelling from one place to another
- law = the system of rules in a country
- lead = to be the first
- leader = a person who is in a high position in their countries
- make sure = to check and see if something has been done
- pass a law = make a new law
- put into effect = here: they should be followed or obeyed
- relationship =connection
- relax = rest
- remove =replace by someone else
- retreat = a place where you can go to , where it is quiet and safe
- rule = to govern
- serve =work for
- several = many
- sign = to put your name on a document