Year of the Monkey in China
The new Chinese year of the monkey started on February 8 . The year began with celebrations around the world, especially in larger cities with a high proportion of ethnic Chinese. The monkey is the ninth animal in the Chinese zodiac. It is expected to bring happiness and energy to people.
The Chinese New Year starts at the beginning of the new moon which is closest to the start of spring. Each Chinese year is associated with one of 12 animals in the horoscope. In addition, there are five elements - fire, water, metal, wood and earth. 2016 is the year of fire.
In China, the monkey is seen as a lively, playful animal. People born this year are expected to be witty and smart. Because it has many positive characteristics, the year of the monkey is considered to be a good time to have children and start a family. Authorities expect especially high birth rates this year, also because, for the first time in 30 years, families are allowed to have two children.
On the other hand Chinese economy in the year of the monkey might be a roller coaster ride. However, astrologists think that it maybe a good year to start a new business.
Chinese New Year Celebrations - Image: William Starkey
- Chinese New Year
- China Planning to Give Up One-Child Policy
- Baby Boom in the Chinese Year of the Dragon
- China Announces End of One Child Policy
- associate = connect
- astrology = positions of the stars and the movements of the planets and the way they influence our lives
- authorities = organizations that control things and have power to make decisions
- birth rate = the number of children born in a certain place during a year
- business = company
- celebration = a special event when you have a party
- characteristic = quality that is typical of someone
- consider = think
- economy = the relationship between production of goods, trade and money in a country
- especially = above all
- ethnic = a group of people who have the same traditions or language or come from the same country
- horoscope = a description of what is going to happen to a person based on the position of the stars and planets at the time they were born
- however = but
- in addition = also
- lively = full of life, energetic
- playful = full of fun, wanting to play
- proportion = part of a whole
- roller coaster = here: ups and downs
- witty = to use words in a funny and clever way
- zodiac = a diagram of twelve parts of the sky, and signs that some people believe can be used to tell us how the planets will influence our lives