US Life Expectancy Drops Because of Opioid Abuse
For the second year in a row life expectancy in the United States has decreased. One of the main reasons is the rise in opioid-related deaths, especially with young adults.
Life expectancy in 2016 was 78.6 years, compared with 78.4 years two years earlier. It is the first two-year decline in over 50 years. While life expectancy in other parts of the world is going up, the average American is dying at an earlier age.
According to a recently published report, overdoses of painkillers and other opioids are causing more and more premature deaths. The figures have risen from 6.1 per 100,000 people in 1999 to 21 per 100,000 people in 2016.
Last year 63 000 people died from some form of drug overdose. While 15000 of them were heroin addicts an alarming 14000 died from other painkillers. Most of them were in the 28-54 year age group.
In many cases, drug abuse is caused by a general dissatisfaction with a person's personal situation. This results in depression and hopelessness if addicts don't have a family to support them. Such victims don't have the stability that they need. As a consequence, they turn to alcohol and drugs.
Opioids are drugs that reduce pain by targeting pain receptors in the brain. You need a doctor's prescription to get them, but more and more people are buying them illegally on the streets.
While many start out with painkilling drugs, they later turn to heroin, also an opioid. In the terminal stages of cancer, morphine is often used to reduce a patient's pain.
- abuse = using something in a way that you shouldn't
- according to = as reported by ...
- addict = someone who is not able to stop taking drugs
- as a consequence = this results in; it leads to
- average = normal
- brain = organ in your head that control your thoughts, feelings and movements
- cancer = very serious illness in which cells in your body grow in an uncontrollable way
- compared with= to look at two things and see how they are different
- decline = when something goes down
- decrease = to go down
- depression = a medical condition in which you are unhappy with yourself and cannot lead a normal life
- dissatisfaction = here: not being happy with yourself
- especially = above all
- heroin = powerful and illegal drug made of morphine
- illegally = not allowed; against the law
- life expectancy = the number of years a person is expected to live
- morphine = powerful drug that is used to make people calmer and stop the pain
- opioid = a drug that acts on the nervous system to reduce pain
- overdose = to take too much of a drug at one time
- pain = the feeling you have when part of your body hurts
- painkiller = medicine which removes or reduces pain
- premature = when something happens before the natural time
- prescription = piece of paper that a doctor writes so that an ill person can get medicine
- recently = a short time ago
- receptor = a nerve ending that gets information and causes the body to react in a special way
- reduce = lower
- result in = lead to, be the reason for something
- stability = here: strength
- target = attack
- terminal stages = the last days, weeks or months before a person dies of an illness