Is Craig Wright the Bitcoin Founder?
The Australian businessman Craig Wright has announced that he is the creator of the digital currency Bitcoin. He claims to be the mysterious Satoshi Nakamoto who created the technology which Bitcoin is based on. Wright has always wanted to be anonymous but now has come forward because he does not want wrong information about his name to spread.
Journalists and the public have been hunting the Bitcoin founder for many years. Now it seems that they may have found him. Wright showed proof of his identity to the BBC and other media companies but says he will not show this proof to the public. BitCoin experts who have seen the evidence are satisfied that Wright is the Bitcoin founder.
The currency was launched in 2009. Since then it has become the world's number one digital currency, worth a total of 7 billion dollars. With Bitcoin, customers can pay for things without the help of banks or national currencies. But because the currency is anonymous it has been popular among criminals, drug traffickers and speculators. Financial experts say that Bitcoin may change the world of money completely in the future.
If Craig Wright is the Bitcoin founder his fortune would be huge.He is thought to have about a million Bitcoins worth about $450 million.
- Bitcoin - Digital Money on the Internet
- Banks and Banking
- Sweden On Its Way To A Cashless Society
- Canada starts printing plastic banknotes
- Hong Kong's Octopus Card
- announce = to say officially
- anonymous = we do not know his real name or identity
- billion = a thousand million
- based on = something that leads to the start of something else
- claim = to say that something is true
- come forward = here: to say who he is
- creator = person who has made something for the first time
- currency = money that the people of a country use to buy things with
- customer = person who buys something in a shop
- digital = here: not physical; something that only exists as computer information
- drug trafficker = person who buys and sells drugs
- evidence = facts that show that something is true
- fortune = the money and other valuable things that a person has
- founder = person who created something
- huge = very big
- identity = who a person is
- launch = start
- mysterious = strange, not known until now
- popular = liked and used
- proof = facts that show that something is true
- public = people in general
- satisfied = pleased
- speculator = someone who buys products, land, houses or other currencies in the hope of selling them at a higher price
- spread = here: information that becomes known in many other places
- worth = the value of something