The American President
The President of the United States is probably the most powerful leader of the world. He has many duties, like signing bills and commanding the armed forces. The president's advisors get together in the Cabinet.
Congress and the Supreme Court control the president and his decisions.
America has had great presidents: George Washington, the first president of the newly formed United States, Abraham Lincoln who abolished slavery, Franklin D. Roosevelt who led Amercia through World War II or John F. Kennedy , a popular president who was assassinated in Dallas.
A presidential election is held every four years. Americans do not choose their president directly . Instead they vote for electors who get together in the Electoral College.
The American President - Table of Contents
- The American President - His Life, Job and Duties
- The Road to the White House
- How American Government Works
- The Electoral College
- The 2000 Presidential Election
- Famous American Presidents
Presidential Election 2008 - Table of Contents
- Results of the 2008 Election
- Democratic Presidential Candidate - Barack Obama
- Republican Presidential Candidate - John McCain
Downloadable PDF Text- and Worksheets
- The 2008 Presidential Candidates- Text (PDF - 159 KB)
- The 2008 Presidential Election - Results (PDF - 430 KB)
- President Barack Obama's Acceptance Speech - Exercises (PDF - 411 KB)
- The Amercian President - Essay Tasks (PDF - 128 KB)
- American President - Multiple Choice Exercise
- American President - True or False
- American President - Rearrange the events in their correct order
- The Road to the White House - Find the correct order
- American States
- Vocabulary Matching Exercise 1
- Vocabulary Matching Exercise 2
- American President - Crossword 1
- Presidents of the Past - Crossword 2
- American President - Fill in the missing words