Tooth Decay Affects Billions Around the World
Tooth decay is a major health problem for billions of people around the world. According to a recent study 2.4 billion people, or a third of the world's population, are suffering from bad teeth. In addition, the milk teeth of about 600 million children are also affected. Experts estimate that 200 million new cases come up every year. While most dental problems start during childhood, there are many adults who suffer from tooth decay. Researchers have conducted their studies between 1990 and 2010.
According to the study Latin America, Northern Africa and the Middle East are the most affected regions. In the Baltic state of Lithuania almost 70% of the population have some form of tooth decay.
The study suggests that once a child suffers from decaying teeth the problem will continue into adulthood. While most treatment concentrates on children adults are neglected.
Untreated teeth can lead to a number of diseases, including infections, ear and throat pain. Tooth decay starts in the outer layers of our teeth . Bacteria and acids in the mouth cause them to dissolve. As a result small holes need to be filled in order to prevent teeth from falling out at an early age.
Dentists state that people's diets are the main cause for bad teeth. They recommend avoiding snacks and sugary soft drinks. Furthermore they suggest visiting the dentist twice a year and brushing your teeth at least twice a day.
Tooth decay - Digantatalukdar
- according to = as said by …
- acid = chemical substance that can burn your skin
- adulthood = being an adult
- affect = to do something that will change a situation
- avoid = keep away from
- bacteria = small living things which can cause an illness or disease
- billion = a thousand million
- conduct = carry out
- decay = rot, become bad, waste away
- dental = about teeth
- diet = the food that you eat regularly
- dissolve = melt, fall apart, destroy
- estimate = guess, think
- furthermore = besides, what’s more
- in addition = also
- including = also
- major = very important
- neglect = ignore, overlook
- prevent = save, guard
- recent = new
- researcher = person who studies a topic very seriously
- soft drink = cold drink that does not have alcohol in it
- state = to say officially
- study = piece of work that is done to find out more about a topic
- suffer = go through, must deal with
- throat = the front of your neck
- treatment = medication, cure
- untreated = here: if teeth are not cared for