Star Trek Returns to Television in 2017
The most successful science fiction series of all times - Star Trek - is expected to return to television in 2017. CBS has announced that the new series will be shown exclusively on CBS's on demand service. Next year marks the 50th anniversary of the original Star Trek series. The news comes as a big treat for millions of "trekkies" around the world.
According to CBS, the new show will introduce new fascinating worlds and new characters, who are prepared to "boldly go where no man has gone before". Since the original series was shown in the 1960s there have been a number of full-length movies of Star Trek , as well as 5 follow-up series. The last one, Star Trek: Enterprise ended in 2005. The new show is expected to be made with new filming technology, which wasn't available 10 years ago.
CBS hopes the new Star Trek will attract new viewers, especially those who watch entertainment on Internet streaming sites.
The original Star Trek cast
- according to = as said by ...
- anniversary = date on which something happened in the past
- announce = to say officially
- attract = be interesting for ...
- available = offered; to be had
- boldly = not afraid of taking risks
- especially = above all
- exclusively = only
- follow-up = here: the series that came after the original one
- full-length = not an episode of a series, but a longer film you can watch in the cinema
- on demand = only shown on TV if you want to see it; normally you have to pay for such services
- treat = here: a special event